Labor unions representing healthcare workers, teachers, transit operators and millions of other frontline workers joined with environmental groups today to sue the federal government over its failure to provide adequate masks, gloves and other personal protective equipment to these essential workers.
JOIN THE ACTION.
GET THE TOOLKIT. SPREAD THE WORD.
READ THE COMPLAINT.
Filed on 10/8/2020
About This Complaint
Today’s lawsuit says Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf should act immediately to ensure the manufacture and distribution of adequate personal protective equipment (PPE). The agencies failed to respond to an August petition from the groups that demanded emergency action, violating federal law. The agencies have refused to properly manage PPE production and distribution, leaving states and industry to compete and frontline workers short of supplies.
The Labor Network for Sustainability joined with labor unions and environmental groups to sue the federal government over its failure to provide adequate masks, gloves and other personal protective equipment to these essential workers.
PLAINTIFFS & PETITIONERS
- Amalgamated Transit Union
- American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations
- American Federation of Teachers
- Association of Flight Attendants-CWA
- Communications Workers of America
- Service Employees International Union
- Transport Workers Union of America
- United Food and Commercial Workers International Union
- United Steelworkers
Unions & Advocacy Groups Supporting the Original Petition
- Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU)
- American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT
- American Postal Workers Union (APWU)
- Association of Flight Attendants (AFA)
- Communications Workers of America (CWA)
- Maine American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (Maine AFL-CIO)
- National Domestic Workers Alliance (NDWA)
- National Nurses United (NNU)
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
- Transport Workers Union of America (TWU)
- The United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America (UE)
- Alliance of Nurses for Health Environments (AHNE)
- Center for Biological Diversity (CBD)
- Center for Popular Democracy (CPD)
- Earth Action, Inc.
- Fayetteville Police Accountability Community Taskforce
- Fire Drill Fridays
- Friends of the Earth (FOE)
- Labor Network for Sustainability (LNS)
- National Children’s Campaign
- Oil Change International
- Sunrise Movement
- The Climate Center
- Union of Concerned Scientists
- US Climate Action Network (USCAN)