ORGANIZER (Fall/Winter 2014 and Spring 2015)
The Labor Network for Sustainability (LNS) is a national organization with a vision of a just transition to full spectrum sustainability (economic, social and environmental). LNS works at the nexus of the labor movement and the environmental movement with a focus on breaking out of “silo” style organizing and on building relationships between organized labor and environmental, faith and community organizations.
Contract position, ¾ time for up to six months, based in Washington DC-Baltimore area. Organizer will do research and field work to build LNS in Maryland, and to pull together and conduct 4 to 6 meetings of a “Futures Commission”, to include labor leaders together with leaders from faith, environmental and other communities. Task of the Commission is to define a vision for a Sustainable Maryland. Organizer will be supervised by, and report directly to, Labor Network for Sustainability (LNS) Executive Director Joe Uehlein. SALARY commensurate with experience and skills.
- Conduct research into unions in MD to approach for support of goals and projects (not money).
- Arrange, plan, and conduct meetings with these unions, and with MD environmental organizations, faith organizations and community organizations.
- Draft a founding mission statement for a MD Futures Commission
- Plan and staff meetings of the commission.
- Other associated administrative work for MD LNS and Futures Commission.
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong research, writing and speaking skills
- Strong computer, social networking, and people skills
- Labor background
- Environmental background
- Organizing background
- Ability to work with people of different cultures, ideologies, and orientations
- Willingness to travel and access to a vehicle
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission of LNS
FOR QUESTIONS or TO APPLY:
Email resume, cover letter & 3 references with subject line “MD Organizer” to:
Joe Uehlein email@example.com