Community Hearing on Transit Equity:
A National Conversation
Hear voices around the country as they testify on the urgency of public transportation.
Wednesday, February 3, 2021
3 p.m. – 7 p.m. Eastern
Thursday, February 4, 2021
11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Eastern
Tell Decisionmakers Why We Need Transit
The sponsoring organizations are part of a national Transit Equity Network advocating for a transportation system centered around equity, climate justice and workers’ rights.
With the funding of public transit in jeopardy and the urgent need for a national recovery bill that includes transit, it is especially important to hear directly from transit stakeholders about what they need from a transportation system. To that end, Transit Equity Days 2021 will be a virtual convening of transit users, workers, and all who rely on transit, to testify about their needs and hopes for safe, reliable, affordable transit.
The Community Hearing on Transit Equity will be open for public participation, and a panel of community members and activists will act as hearing facilitators. Testimony will be recorded for subsequent use in discussions with governmental decision-makers. There will also be an opportunity for written statements.
Goal of the Community Hearing
The goal is to influence decision makers and our fellow constituents, all who play an important role in the survival and expansion of robust public transportation systems so riders from all walks of life have safe and reliable means of transportation to get where they need to be, when they need to be there, without struggle, financial stress and experiencing prejudice. Through these hearings, we also strive for the safe working conditions and continued employment of all transit and transport workers.
When and Where
- Wednesday, February 3
- 3 p.m. – 7 p.m., Eastern
- 2 p.m. – 6 p.m., Central
- 1 p.m. – 5 p.m., Mountain
- Noon – 4 p.m., Pacific
- Thursday, February 4
- 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Eastern
- 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Central
- 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., Mountain
- 8 a.m. – Noon, Pacific
All testimonies will occur virtually on an online video conferencing platform.
Information for Testifiers
We are looking for testifiers that engage with public transportation in various capacities. These include:
- Transit workers
- Students of all ages who rely on transit to get them to school safely
- Working adults who use (or would like to use) transit to transport them safely and reliably to and from work
- The unemployed seeking work and needing transit to get to interviews and other locations necessary for their job search
- Those with physical and mental challenges who have special needs for a transit system
- Anyone without a car who uses transit for their daily needs
- Employers who need a reliable transit system to transport their workers to the workplace
We are categorizing testimonies into the following thematic areas, but these areas are intended only to provide guidance. Testimonies will likely engage with many of the following areas, and cover topics outside of this list:
- Transportation access and racial and economic justice
- Transit jobs and workers’ rights
- Transit and climate/environmental justice
- Transportation and disability justice