Newsletter #1 9/6/2016
The Labor Network for Sustainability is proud to unveil its new newsletter. LNS is all about the need for “making a living on a living planet” — and so is our newsletter. We will be using it to share news of how working people are fighting for a planet that is sustainable — environmentally, economically, and socially. If you like what we are doing and want to connect, please sign up on our website (Sign up here!). You are welcome to repost anything in this newsletter – help us spread the word!
UNION CLIMATE RESOLUTIONS
Many of those who participated in the Labor Convergence on Climate have been working in their own local, state, and national unions — with help from LNS and the Convergence — to propose and fight for resolutions on climate change. Here are some examples they have recently passed:
CLIMATE, JOBS & JUSTICE
BEYOND A BAND-AID
A community and worker protection fund (CWP Fund). The fund would collect moneyin advance to replaces taxes and fees paid by fossil fuel facilities and to invest in good jobs in affected communities.
- Advance investment in job creation. The CWP Fund, in cooperation with other private and public sources, would make targeted investments in fossil fuel energy communities designed to create jobs before or at the pace that fossil fuel jobs are declining. Examples would include:
- Exporting renewable energy
- HVAC conversion
- Decommissioning facilities
- Economic diversification
- Levying a modest carbon fee or tax.
- Eliminating fossil fuel subsidies and tax breaks.
- Setting aside funds for decommissioning facilities.
- Leveraging other investments with the CWP Fund
JUST TRANSITION: JUST WHAT IS IT?