Bridging the labor and climate movements is a year-round focus for the Labor Network for Sustainability–hence why we hold in such high regard the 10-day period from April 22 (Earth Day) through May 1 (May Day, International Workers’ Day). Heading into the 51st Earth Day this year, we reflect on how the occasion originated. Right before the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day, LNS President and Founder Joe Uehlein wrote:
Happening This Year
This Earth Day to May Day, LNS will lead digital actions reflecting several key areas the organization focuses on when ensuring its mission of helping workers and their allies build a society that is ecologically sustainable and economically just. We also encourage you to view or participate in actions hosted by our allies.
Thursday, April 22 (Earth Day)
- Leaders Summit on Climate: Biden Administration
Starts at 8 a.m. Eastern
- Fossil Fuels, Equity and a Global Just Transition
Side event to Leaders Summit on Climate during U.S. Climate Week
- Earth Day Live
Watch three days of action that started on 4/20 with the Global Youth Summit and Hip Hop Caucus
- #PS21ActionDay | Live event streamed on Facebook
Starts at 2 p.m. Central; part of the Power Shift Network Virtual Convergence
Friday, April 23
- Fire Drill Friday with Jane Fonda
Following the Earth Day Leadership Summit on Climate, Jane is joined by Greenpeace International Executive Director Jennifer Morgan and Senior Campaigner at Oil Change Collin Rees
Monday, April 26
- Transit Equity: Amplifying Research and Findings of the Community Hearing
Led by LNS and the Transit Equity Network
Tuesday, April 27
- Just Transition: Amplifying “Workers and Communities in Transitions”
Led by LNS and the Just Transition Listening Project Organizing Committee
Wednesday, April 28
- Workers Memorial Day / In Memoriam
In solidarity with labor unions honoring their fallen heroes
- Constructing a New Social Compact: A Public Forum on Empowering the Post-Pandemic Working Class
Hosted by Georgetown University’s Kalmanovitz
Initiative for Labor and the Working Poor (featuring LNS Board Director Sarita Gupta). Event lasts through May 1. Register now!
Thursday, April 29
- Launch of Young Worker Listening Project Survey
Led by LNS and the Young Worker Project
- An Economy for People & Planet: What Would it Take?
Plenary session of Constructing a New Social Compact: A Public Forum on Empowering the Post-Pandemic Working Class. Moderated by LNS Organizing Director Lauren Burke. Register now!
- Introduction of the THRIVE Agenda
Led by the Green New Deal Network
Saturday, May 1
Other Actions You Can Take
- Urge your Senators to Pass the PRO Act (Sunrise Movement)
- Sign on to the “We Shall Breathe” Demands (Hip Hop Caucus)
- Did you coordinate an action as part of the Power Shift Convergence 2021? Complete this form to tell them about it.
Enjoy the Songs of Earth Day to May Day
- Produced last year by Leo Blain, these videos feature songs of sustainability, solidarity and peace. Mostly performed by LNS President and lead vocalist and guitarist of the The U-Liners Joe Uehlein and his daughter Anna Grace Uehlein plus performances from LNS staff and allies. Watch and enjoy.
More details will follow throughout Earth Day to May Day. Please visit labor4sustainability.org and sign up for our newsletter to stay up-to-date.