Monday, February 4, 2019
Last year, people took action in dozens of cities across the U.S. demanding that our local, state and federal governments make public transit accessible and affordable to all, create good jobs by expanding our public transit systems, and protect our health and climate by using renewable energy to power our buses and trains.
Join us again on February 4, 2019 for the Second Transit Equity Day
We choose February 4 as Transit Equity Day to honor Rosa Parks on her birthday. Her act of resistance by refusing to give up her seat on the bus in 1955 was a catalyst for the civil rights movement. It affirmed that everyone has the right to equal access to public transit.
Also, join us for a SOCIAL MEDIA DAY on DECEMBER 21 to honor the successful end to the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Stay tuned for more information on this.
Actions You Can Take on Transit Equity Day
We will send a link to an Organizing Toolkit soon!
- Convene an educational event about public transit as a civil right and as a key strategy to confront climate change.
- Wear a button or sticker to your workplace showing support for public transit as a civil right.
- Get an op-ed published in your local newspaper.
- Organize a direct action to support a local campaign for quality public transit for all.
- Get your union local, organization city council, transportation board and others to pass a resolution supporting public transportation as a civil right.
- Get your union to establish a climate action committee.
For More Information Contact
- Amalgamated Transit Union
- Chainbreaker Collective, Santa Fe, NM
- Institute for Policy Studies, Washington, DC
- Labor Network for Sustainability
- Labor Community Strategy Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Music City Riders United/Workers’ Dignity, Nashville, TN
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- OPAL Environmental Justice Oregon, Portland, OR
- Partnership for Working Families
- Pittsburghers for Public Transit, Pittsburgh, PA
- Sierra Club
Sponsoring organizations contribute money, in-kind support to the national organizing effort or participate on the Planning Committee for Transit EquityDay.
- Colorado Interfaith Power and Light
- Grassroots Global Justice Alliance
- Greenpeace, USA
- Jobs with Justice
- Policy Link
- The Leap